Glencairn Cards Department

After many years of involvement with the Community at St. Mary’s Abbey, in Glencairn, Lismore, Co. Waterford we are delighted that Phase 1 of the development works at the Abbey is now complete.  The farm building formerly used as a laundry has been successfully converted into a production area for the Cards Department run by the Sisters.  The works uncovered many surprises about the old building and these features including new openings...

Read More »

Main Entrance – Mary Immaculate College

Project Description The new Main Entrance at Mary Immaculate College seeks to reinforce the presence of the College within the City and welcome visitors.  The new structure was designed in a classic yet contemporary style that respects and reflects the adjoining buildings and leads to a spacious, light-filled Reception Foyer.  The building is receiving very positive feedback from students, staff and the general public.  

Read More »

Glencairn Abbey Redevelopment

Project Description St. Mary’s Abbey has been home to a monastic community of nuns since 1932.  The Abbey building and demense had previously been a family home which had merged with Ballygarron Castle which dated from 1619. The proposed works include demolition of the 1932 Dormitory Block, the 1974 North East wing, the boiler house, outbuildings on the West side of the lower courtyard and secondary buildings and sheds in the farmyard. The...

Read More »

The Quad – Mary Immaculate College

Project Description The original home of Mary Immaculate College is the Foundation Building which fronts onto the South Circular Road.  To the rear of the Foundation Building lies a courtyard which in recent years has functioned as a service area. With the expansion of the Campus, the courtyard became a forgotten space. When we were asked to oversee repairs, we looked beyond this brief to reimagine the space and in the process the transform the...

Read More »

Daghdha Dance Company

Project Description This Project involved reusing a derelict church in a prime city location for use by our Client as a dance studio/workshop and occasional venue.  The ground and basement levels of two Georgian townhouses located across St. John’s Square were converted to house office accommodation and a second dance studio. Both the church and the townhouses are Protected Structures and we consulted with the Heritage Council and local...

Read More »

Letterkenny Bus Station

Project Description In 2004 Quinn Architects were commissioned by Bus Éireann to undertake projects at a number of bus stations across all Ireland, including this one in Letterkenny, Co. Donegal.  The project consisted of the refurbishment of the existing Bus Station which is a Protected Structure and the extension of the building to improve staff and passenger facilities and provide an enclosed waiting area as well as improve accessibility. ...

Read More »

Commemorative Garden – St. Mary’s Convent

Project Description This Commemorative Garden was commissioned to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the arrival of Mother Catherine McAuley, Foundress of the Sisters of Mercy, to Limerick City in September 1839.  The Sisters of Mercy asked us to design a contemplative garden adjacent to their private cemetery at St. Mary’s Convent, Limerick.  The location of the Garden in next to the gateway through which Mother McAuley first entered...

Read More »

Bochnia Gallery

Project Description The museum in Bochnia is located in the old market square, a heritage site on the UNESCO list.  The competition called for an extension to the existing museum to accommodate the growing collection of artefacts and to provide ancillary functions including a shop and cafe.  The site itself is long and narrow, squeezed between the existing museum building and a neighbouring shop. In view of the sensitive site, the design...

Read More »

Summerville Lodge – Mary Immaculate College

Project Description The Campus at Mary Immaculate College features many buildings, stretching from before the establishment of the College up to the present day.  Two of the older building on the Campus are Summerville House and it former Gate Lodge.  In 2011, a decision was made to renovate the then unused Gate Lodge to accommodate a Franco-German Language Centre for students of those languages.  We succeeded in obtaining Planning Permission...

Read More »
Page 1 of 212