This Commemorative Garden was commissioned to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the arrival of Mother Catherine McAuley, Foundress of the Sisters of Mercy, to Limerick City in September 1839. The Sisters of Mercy asked us to design a contemplative garden adjacent to their private cemetery at St. Mary’s Convent, Limerick. The location of the Garden in next to the gateway through which Mother McAuley first entered the St. Mary’s property.
The Garden was designed with a very low level of maintenance in mind. The scheme comprises of low stone walls with seating arranged around a central feature, limestone paving and and tarmac paths, plum slate mulch and container planting. The main path leads to the primary feature of the garden, a sculpture (now renovated) inbuilt into the original gateway through which Mother McAuley first entered the St. Mary’s property 175 years ago. Of particular interest is the fact that the low stone walls are built using the stone of the original convent building, providing a tangible link to the past.
This project was designed in partnership with Dave Ryan, Landscape Architect.