Charles quickly established a reputation for contemporary design and when the prestigious Todds department store was destroyed by fire in August 1959, Charles was commissioned to design the new flagship store at the heart of Limerick’s shopping district. Charles developed a wide Client base particularly in the Education sector and with Religious orders.
Charles was joined by his son John in 1971. Recently returned from a year working in Kyoto, Japan, John brought fresh energy and innovative ideas visible in several Schools projects built across Ireland including the Catherine McAuley Special Needs School and the Library at Mary Immaculate College.
The practice merged into a partnership with two other local architects in 1984 and began trading as Quinn Savage Smyth Architects. Notable developments included three Student Villages at the University of Limerick, the Nursing Home & Hospice for Milford Care Centre as well as the new roof to Heuston Station in Dublin.
In 2003, John’s son Cathal returned to Limerick after working in Poland and the USA. Now in its third generation, the practice rebranded as Quinn Architects in 2012 and has continues to set high standards of design in the Commercial, Healthcare and Education sectors.
Key to the practice’s success is its collaborative approach and to this end, the practice has invested heavily in new technologies, embracing BIM which allows us to develop concepts in three dimensions and progress the design with other disciplines in an integrated way to ensure the smooth delivery of projects once they move to construction stage.